Read Ms. Spina's School Reopen Update Letter- 8-4-20
August 4, 2020
I hope you are well. We are ramping up for the first day of school coming fast! As promised, below are additional updates and reminders that I want to share with you this week.
1. September Start – 9/8 First Day K-8 with 1:00 pm Dismissal. 9/14- First Day for Preschool. We are planning for a 5-day start in school for September for all students. Safety is our top priority. Teachers, Ms. Lovallo and Ms. Worth have been working on developing safety and logistical procedures to include: entering the school, bathroom breaks, desk spacing, lunch, dismissal, before and aftercare and more. Click here for more school dates.
2. Technology – We have requested additional laptops through the use of the part of our CARES Act funding and we have also ordered 44 Chromebooks through a Sub-grant through Atlantic Prevention Services. We are also going to be upgrading the school’s server so that it can handle all of our new devices. We will be utilizing our E-Rate Funding which is Federal funding to help assist with the upgrade.
3. Air Conditioning Units – 20 10,000 BTU units are being purchased and will be delivered shortly and will be installed in the rooms for the star of school. This will assist with cooling the building and air flow.
4. Cleaning of School – This began Monday, 8/3. Perfectly Clean Cleaning Company is contracted to disinfect and sanitize the entire school building. We have also ordered cleaning supplies, hand sanitizing dispensers, toilet seat covers, sneeze guards for all students and staff, and we have ordered PPE. The building will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized prior to school opening and increased cleaning procedures will be put in place.
5. School improvements this summer – Portions of the school are being painted over the summer and the building will be prepared for social distancing. Security cameras have been installed and roof repairs were made.
6. Tuition –Tuition payments will begin on 8/15 for the 2020-2021 school year and run for 10 months.
7. Covid19 Handbook – A separate school handbook specifically addressing the safety needs of our students during this time will be emailed to families by August 14. Two important requirements that are important to highlight now are:
All students need 3-4 masks. One clean mask is to be worn daily, one clean mask to serve as a backup. Masks are to be washed after each use. Note: Masks with breathing holes are NOT permitted and masks must pass the “flame test,” you are unable to blow a flame out when wearing mask.
Remote learning requests- Requests for your child to learn from home can be made on a quarterly basis. Students are then required to remain home for the entire quarter for the safety of all our students.
I will share more information on new programs for the fall and our restart plan as they develop. Please share our school with your friends and family members! We offer socially distant tours throughout the summer. We need your help in growing and sustaining OLSS!
Stay safe and thank you for choosing Our Lady Star of the Sea for your child.
Ms. Carol Spina, Principal
25 views0 comments